Preservation Efforts

Save the Flags

The Save the Flags adoption program is part of the Michigan Capitol Battle Flag Collection. The goal is to preserve the state’s collection of historic battle flags. Much of the money needed to do this is through groups, individuals, or families who may donate the money and adopted a flag to be preserved. By contributing these needed funds, The 17th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment Company E, Inc. is playing a key role in the preservation of these very important historical artifacts. Over the past ten years the group has adopted the following flags:


17th Michigan 1st National flag (SC-63-90) was adopted in 1993.

Under this flag three Congressional Medals of Honor were won. On May 12, 1864 the flag was captured at Spottsylvania, Virginia by the 37th North Carolina Regiment. At this action the 17th suffered heavily for their efforts.
 

17th Michigan Regimental flag (SC-75-90) fragmentary, was adopted in 2001.
Only a portion of this fragile flag remains today. Its condition is a result of some of battle damage, but mostly from the common practice of Civil War Veterans after the war of "souveniring," (taking pieces of the flag they fought under during the war) as souvenirs.


17th Michigan 2nd National flag (SC-76-90) was adoped in 2004.

This flag has many battle honors painted on it which shows the fierce combat the Regiment passed through. These battle honors include Antietam, Fredericksburg, the siege of Vicksburg, Jackson, Lenoir Station, Campbell’s Station, the siege of Knoxville, Thurley’s Ford, Strawberry Plains, The Wilderness, Spotsylvania, North Anna, Cold Harbor, Weldon Railroad and the siege and capture of Petersburg.
This project was supported by donations from Discovery Middle School, Plymouth, MI.


17th Michigan Swallowtails (flank markers and Regimental Flag) (SC-62-90) were adopted in 2006.
Flank marking flags were carried by sergeants and were posted at each end of the regiment in the line of battle. 


1st MICHIGAN INFANTRY REGIMENT, 3 MONTHS (SC-228-90) was adopted in 2007


17th MICHIGAN INFANTRY REGIMENT FLAG (SC-76-90) adopted 2007.
This project was supported by donations Emerson Middle School, Livonia, MI.


24th MICHIGAN INFANTRY REGIMENT FLAG (SC-84-90) adopted 2009.
This project was supported by donations Emerson Middle School, Livonia, MI.


17th MICHIGAN REGIMENT FLAG (SC-76-90) adoted 2010.
This project was supported by donations Divine Child Elementary School, Dearborn, MI. 

Establishing Historical Markers

Marker Dedication at South Mountain, Braddock, Maryland:

In 1986, the 17th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment Company E, Inc., erected a Michigan Historic Site marker at the South Mountain Battlefield in Braddock Maryland. This state marker honors the 982 officers and men of the 17th who's heroic charge and capture of a Confederate brigade at Fox’s Gap earned them the nickname, The Stonewall Regiment. Three days latter they participated in the bloodiest single day in U.S. history.......... Antietam.


Placement of marker at Spotsylvania National Military Park, Fredericksburg, Virginia:

In 1997, the 17th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment Company E, Inc., placed a marker at Spotsylvania National Military Park, Fredericksburg, Virginia, to honor the men of the 17th to fought and died at the battle of Spotsylvania on May 12, 1864.


Marker Dedication at Campbell’s Station (now Farragut) Tennessee:

In 2002, the 17th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment Company E, Inc., placed a marker at Campbell’s Station (now Farragut) Tennessee, to honor two members of the 17th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment Company E, who were awarded the Medal of Honor for their actions during the battle at Campbell’s Station on November 16, 1863.
 


Historic Fort Wayne Restoration

Historic Fort Wayne is one of the remaining 14 forts built in the 1840's to defend the United States from British attacks from Canada. The fort was used for many purposes throughout its 130 years of active service as a military installation. One purpose, which began with the Civil War and remained throughout its active service, was being an induction and training center for the state of Michigan.


In 1861, Michigan Governor Blair, upon hearing President Lincoln's call for 750,000 volunteers to put down the Southern Rebellion, ordered the creation of the 1st Regiment of Michigan Infantry at Fort Wayne. One of the officers, Captain William H. Withington was captured at the First Battle of Bull Run, exchanged, and returned to Michigan to become Colonel Withington of the 17th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment.


In 2006, in an effort to help preserve the fort, the 17th donated funds to purchase the materials to rebuild one of the five casement covers in desperate need of repair. In October, 2008, the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition, which provided the "manpower," completed the rebuilding of the casement cover #4 in the Star Fort!


The 17th Michigan is dedicated to contribute funds and manpower to help with the restoration of Fort Wayne. The unit as a whole is a member of the Fort Wayne Coalition and many of the members of the 17th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment Company E, Inc., are individual members of the Fort Wayne Collation. 

More Efforts

Civil War Preservation Trust

The 17th Michigan Volunteer Infantry, Co. E , Inc. is an active contributor to the Civil War Preservation Trust (CWPT), whose goal is to preserve civil war battlefield sites for posterity. Annually we contribute $1000 as “Color Bearers”. Money in this fund is used to urgently purchase land that up for sale before a “campaign fund” can be organized. In addition, we contribute needed moneys to specific “campaign funds” on an as needed basis. 

Cemetery Marker Dedications

The 17th Michigan Volunteer Infantry, Co E, Inc. is dedicated to honoring the men and women who served during the American Civil War. We commit funds to refurbish and/or replace cemetery markers when markers are missing or in a deteriorated condition. A dedication ceremony accompanies each dedication. 

Personal Diaries and Artifacts

The 17th Michigan Volunteer Infantry, Co E, Inc. is committed to preserving the histories of the men who served our state during the American Civil War. We have purchased diaries and other artifacts and have donated them to museums and libraries in order to preserve them and share them with all of society. For example, the unit purchased and donated a Lorenz bayonet to the South Mountain Museum. In 2010 the unit purchased the diary of William Ferrier, and after analysis of its contents, donated the diary to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.